HVAC woes this winter? But it’s not even winter yet! Half of the energy used in your business or home goes to heating and cooling. Making smart decisions about heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems for your home or office can have a big effect on your utility bills. Save all that money for a nice summer vacation, maybe a cruise to the islands…
6 Tips for Winter Comfort
1. Freshen up that filter - Check your filter every month, especially in the summer and winter. Those are heavy-use months. If the filter looks dirty after a month, change it. It should be changed at least every 3 months. A dirty filter will slow down air flow and make the system work harder to keep you warm or cool. Energy is important, don’t waste it with a dirty filter. A clean filter will prevent dust and dirt from building up in the system. That can often lead to expensive maintenance and/or early system failure.
2. Once a year, that’s all it takes - A yearly tune-up of your heating and cooling system can improve efficiency and comfort. Have a Fowler and Sons representative come out to your home or business today to check your equipment.
3. There’s an app for it, actually - A programmable thermostat is great for people who are away from their business or home during set periods of time throughout the week. Use of a programmable thermostat can save you money over the course of a year in energy costs.
4. Seal ducts (it’s practically a zoo) - Sealing the heating and cooling ducts can improve the efficiency of your heating and cooling system by as much as 20 percent! Ducts that run through attics, crawlspaces, unheated basements, or garages can be big energy wasters.
5. We recommend Energy Star - Consider installing Energy Star equipment. If your HVAC equipment is more than 10 years old, and/or not keeping your home, or business comfortable, have it evaluated by a professional HVAC installer. Make sure you have had any air leaks repaired by a professional prior to HVAC installation. All these things will work together to provide an efficient heating/cooling system.
6. Don’t take shortcuts - Make sure you are receiving proper installation of your new equipment. Improper installation can reduce system efficiency by up to 30 percent — costing you more on your utility bills and possibly shortening the equipment’s life. Fowler and Sons prides itself on professional, courteous service.
Fowler and Sons Inc. | 105 Rupert Road, Ste 2 | (919) 779 – 4330
Commercial Refrigeration | Electrical | Restaurant | Heating & Air | Plumbing | Services