Electricity rules the modern life–we can’t get away from it! It’s a really interesting facet of our lives. Read on for some interesting facts about electricity!
- Just a single spark of static electricity can measure up to 3,000 volts!
- You know the ocean is a scary place…watch out for electric eels which use strong electric shocks up to 500 volts for hunting and self-defense.
- Birds love power lines, but they don’t get cooked up there–how?? Birds aren’t in danger of getting shocked as long as they remain on one power line. As soon as they touch another with a wing or foot, a circuit is created which allows electricity to flow through the body, ending in electrocution and a fried bird.
- How does coal work? As the biggest source of energy in the world, the steam created from burning coal is used to spin turbines attached to generators.
- You can’t see it with the naked eye, but lightning flows from the ground to the cloud. We see the part where the charge goes from the ground back up into the cloud. You can find very interesting slow-motion videos of this awesome natural occurance.
- Winter is a tough time for anyone with long luscious locks or prone to being skittish, thanks to static electricity. It’s created when electrons from one object jump to another object. Maybe now that you know, you won’t jump when you get shocked!
- It’s plausible that feeling “electricity” with someone has a scientific explanation! We have electricity always present in our bodies. Our muscles receive signals passed from our nerve cells!
- If you thought turning your TV off is saving energy, think again! About 75% of electricity is used while products in the home are turned off. Desktops idle at 80 watts, while laptops idle at 20 watts. It might surprise you, but idle power uses more electricity than all of the solar panels in the U.S. combined!
- What’s your guess for the most efficient appliance in your kitchen? If you guessed microwave, you’re correct! It uses 1/3 of the wattage of most ovens.
Electricity: Additions, Modifications & Indoor/Outdoor Lighting
Fowler and Sons, Inc. provides expert commercial electrical services to meet the needs of a various size companies. We can provide consultations for the best lighting for your business as well as provide full and custom installation of lights.
OUR SOLUTIONS INCLUDE:
- All Electrical Wiring for Indoor Lighting
- Consultation on Best Lights for Business
- Full and Custom Installation of Lights
- Service Indoor Lighting
- Certified for All Health Department Issues for Lighting
- Upfit Commercial Kitchens
- Complete Service Change Outs
- Installation of New Equipment
- Interlock/Control Wiring
- Interlock AAON Units
Smart $aver Energy Incentives Program
With Duke Energy’s Smart $aver® Incentive program, businesses can receive cash for installing high-efficiency lighting, HVAC, pumps and other qualifying equipment. The use of energy-efficient equipment enables your business to improve its bottom line by reducing energy consumption. And Smart $aver incentives help lower the costs associated with upgrades.
By taking advantage of the Smart $aver program you can:
- Help buy down the incremental cost difference between standard and energy-efficient equipment.
- Invest in high-efficiency equipment without exceeding annual budgets.
- Contribute to a greener environment by reducing the amount of natural resources needed to keep your business running.
- Defer the need to construct additional electric-generating facilities, thereby keeping regional energy rates low and reducing emissions.